Applying for a South African visitor’s visa from Nigeria is pretty simple and straightforward. As I mentioned in this article I wrote two years ago, Nigerian citizens visiting South Africa require a visa for entry. The application process remains pretty much the same and this article details everything you need to know to handle the process yourself.
How to Apply for a South African Visa in Nigeria – Visa Requirements
The first step in applying for a visa is getting the right documents for the category you are applying for. To apply for a tourist visa, you need the following documents;
- A valid international passport.
- Application Form completed in black ink only.
- Two identical passport size (45mmx45mm) photographs. (If you’re not sure of the appropriate specification, it might be better to take one inside the VFS office).
- Two (coloured) copies of your passport data page
- Coloured copies of existing and previously issued visas (for all countries).
- A self-introduction letter.
- Letter of introduction from employer (where available).
- Letter of invitation (where available).
- Confirmed hotel reservation – sites like booking.com and other third parties are not accepted.
- Confirmed flight booking.
- Copy of all pages of your yellow fever card (including the cover page).
- Six months bank statement.
- Six months payslip (where available).
- Birth certificate for minors/children travelling with parents.
- Marriage certificate where applicable.
How to Apply for a South African Visa in Nigeria – Visa Appointment
Once you have all the documents that apply to you, you can then go to the VFS global centre closest to you to submit them. All applicants have to make a personal appearance. You don’t need to book for any prior appointment but be aware that the centres have a limit on the number of applications they attend to on a daily basis. For Lagos, the limit is 230 applications inclusive of all categories, Abuja accepts 150 and Port Harcourt accepts only 20 per day.
The applications are treated on a first-come-first-serve basis, so it makes sense to go early. All the centres open and close by 8 am and 3 pm respectively. The centre also offers a VIP service at an extra cost of N10,000.
Where is the VFS Center in Nigeria Located?
The South Africa Visa Application Centre for Lagos is located at;
Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way (Opposite Treasure Garden Estate)
Third Roundabout, Lekki Phase I, Lagos.
The South Africa Visa Application Centre for Abuja is located at;
Sterling Bank Plaza, 3rd floor, Plot 1083 Mohammadu Buhari Way
Central Business District, Abuja-Nigeria.
The South Africa Visa Application Centre for Port Harcourt is located at;
Vineyard Shopping Centre,
88 Woji Road, GRA, Port Harcourt.
South Africa Visa Fee in Nigeria (2018)
Visa fees vary based on the exchange rate and the location from which you are applying. At the time of this writing, applying from Lagos and Abuja cost the same, a total of about N34,000 while applying from Port Harcourt costs about N52,270. (The VFS site contains up to date information regarding this). Note that this fee can only be paid in cash inside the VFS building. Although there is an ATM just outside the building, I would advise that you don’t rely on it completely. It is better to withdraw the money you need beforehand.
Visa fees can only be paid with a Nigerian card. Foreign cards are not accepted and Cash is no longer accepted.
South Africa Visa Processing Time in Nigeria
According to the VFS site, it takes a minimum of 6 working days to process a visa. This isn’t to say that it can’t come out in more time or even less. When I first applied in the past, my visa came out in 14 working days. It is advisable to apply at least 3-4 weeks before your intended travel date.
That’s about it for the entire process. I hope you find this guide useful. Feel free to share your visa experience with me or ask any questions you might have in the comment section.
Disclaimer: All information presented is accurate at the time of writing. They are subject to change without notice. Always confirm travel details and necessary requirements with respective embassies & airlines