Nigerian citizens need a visa to visit India. In this post, I’ll show you how you can apply for an Indian visa and some important things you need to know to make the entire process seamless and stress-free. If you’re applying for a visa for the first time, be sure to read my guide, detailing general rules about visa applications in Nigeria.
Now, let’s get into the details of applying for a tourist visa as a Nigerian citizen, living in Nigeria.
Applying for an Indian Tourist Visa in Nigeria – The Process
The first thing you need to begin the process is a passport photograph. You would need a soft copy to complete the online form. It must meet the site’s requirement before you can upload it successfully.
You can then go ahead to fill out the form through the online portal at https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/. It is important to fill in only the correct information. You cannot make changes after you click to submit.
When you begin to fill the form, you will be assigned a temporary ID. Be sure to take note of it. You would need it to complete filling the form at a different time. After submission, you will get an application ID. Take note of this also as you would need it to get an appointment and then, check the status of your visa.
Print out the confirmation page after submission and click the Get Appointment button to schedule an appointment date.
The dates seemed elusive when I first applied. However, the process is pretty straightforward now. If you can’t get a date immediately, keep trying until you do. You can also try at night or very early in the morning. (I got my last appointment after I checked at 4 am). Do not pay anyone to get one for you.
Important: You have 5 days after submission to reschedule the appointment, should you need to. If you want to change your dates after the time has elapsed, you would need to go to the embassy or consulate to do so or you can simply fill another application to get a new date.
Where is the Indian Consulate/Embassy Located?
The High Commission of India office is located at 8a Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, and at 364, Cadastral Zone, Central District Area, Abuja, Nigeria.
India Visa Requirements – What Documents Should I Bring to the Interview?
It is compulsory to have the following documents when you go to the High Commission for your interview;
- International passport – with a minimum of two free leaflets and six months validity
- Old passport, if any
- A photocopy of the data page of the passport
- Visa application form duly filled online and signed. Your form should be signed in the box under the photograph on page 1 and at the end of page 2. Your signatures should match with the signature printed on your international passport.
- 2 recent photographs of the size of 50mm X 50mm i.e. 2-inch x 2-inch with light background. Photos should be glued on your forms in the box provided on pages 1 and 2 of the online form.
- Introduction Letter
- Invite from the Indian host with contact details and scanned copy of PAN/Aadhar card to be mailed to HCI email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com (For Lagos: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com) with you in cc. You are to attach a printout of the invitation and the email with the visa application form.
- Travel and Hotel Bookings (Detailed itinerary of places to be visited in India)
- Bank Statement for the last six months
- Local profile of the applicant as applicable (Letter from employer, professional documents, business person to attach basic business documents)
- Proof of address (Nigerian national ID or Driver’s License or Voter Card)
Indian Visa Interview – What Kind of Questions Should I Expect?
The interviewer would ask questions based on your application and the information you have entered in the online form. You should also be ready to answer questions about your itinerary.
How much does the Indian Tourist Visa Cost?
The Visa Fee is US$252 including surcharge of US$2. You can submit your application between 9 am and 11 am (for Lagos) and 10 am and 12 pm (for Abuja).
Tips to Increase my Chances of Getting a Visa
In addition to tips I have shared in this article (Dos & Don’ts of Visa Applications in Nigeria), you should make sure that you have entered accurate information in the online form. If certain things like travel dates have changed, let the interviewer know the reason for this change.
If your visa is approved, you will be asked to pay the visa fee and pick up your passport after 3 days. You will need to travel with an Oral polio vaccination (OPV)/ Inactivated Polio Vaccination (IPV) certificate. It should be valid for one year from the date of administering it. You would also need a Yellow fever vaccination certificate. You can read about how to get that here.
That’s it for the entire process. I hope you find this guide useful. Feel free to share your visa experience with me or ask any questions you might have in the comment section.
PS: I’ve written a number of posts about my time in India. You can read them here: India Travel
Here are some of my favorites:
Disclaimer: All information presented is correct at the time of writing. They are subject to change without notice. Always confirm travel details and necessary requirements with respective embassies & airlines before you travel.