Last updated on April 11th, 2021; Published on February 25th, 2019
A few weeks ago, I wrote an article about places I was looking forward to visiting this year. Turkey made its way to that list, thanks to Naija Nomads, a travel company in Nigeria. Do you know how I sometimes talk about writing down your vision (goals)? Believing (and working towards) them so much that the Universe conspires to make it happen? Well, today, I found myself in Turkey!
I didn’t visit Turkey physically – yet :), but I made my way to TRTWorld, an international news channel based in Istanbul, Turkey. They reached out to me (and a few other Nigerians) to share our perspective about this country we call home.
Because Nigeria often gets a lot of bad press in the media, I was quite worried about how this interview would turn out. However, when I received the link, I was delighted to see the video highlighted several positive aspects of Nigeria. It showed some of the bad news as well but that was not the focus of the piece.
In the video, one of the interviewees said this;
“If the media is portraying something, it is because it is true, however, the media is focussing more on the bad things’
And I totally agree with her. I’d be the last person to say that Nigeria is a perfect Utopia. But I’d be the first to tell you all the positive things about her. This is one of the reasons why I started this blog- to show the lesser-known beauty that Nigeria has to offer.
I hope you enjoy watching the piece and my interview… (Also, I apologize in advance for the bad image quality of my video. 🙁 I shot it on short notice with very bad lighting…)
One of the questions they asked me was this – What does Nigeria mean to you? Here’s what I had to say…
And I would like to ask you the same question…
What does Nigeria mean to you?
PS: If you are looking to visit or explore Nigeria more, I have many resources on this blog to help. Please check the Nigeria Category Tag to begin.
- FAQ: Everything You Need to Know About Getting a Yellow Card in NigeriaLast updated on May 11th, 2021; Published on November 13th, 2020Last year, after the Nigerian government introduced yet another procedure of obtaining a Yellow Card in Nigeria. I wrote a fairly extensive post about that in this article and I have received several questions about the whole process since then. […]
- 25 Beautiful & Fun Places to Visit in Lagos, NigeriaLast updated on April 16th, 2021; Published on August 14th, 2020 If you are looking for places to visit in Lagos, you’ve come to the right place! It is not a secret that Lagos isn’t the most touristic destination in the world. Apart from residents and Nigerians in general, most […]
- Visa Free Countries for the Nigerian Passport HolderLast updated on June 22nd, 2021; Published on July 6th, 2020 One of the things I look out for while choosing a destination to visit is how easy or difficult it is to obtain a visa. Since there are only a handful of visa free countries for Nigerian Citizens, this […]
- Lessons About Travel Planning I’ve Learnt from the Coronavirus PandemicLast updated on May 13th, 2020; Published on April 1st, 2020 We are currently living in unprecedented times. Apart from the generation who lived during WWII and the flu pandemic in the 1980s, most of us have never experienced anything like the coronavirus Pandemic. Before I say anything else in […]
- Nigeria Travel Guide – Tips and InspirationLast updated on March 9th, 2021; Published on February 21st, 2020 Hey there! If you’re not a routine reader of this blog, then you have probably found this post while searching for information about visiting Nigeria. Perhaps you’re travelling for business purposes or considering it as an off-the-beaten-path destination? This […]
- Lagos Staycations: Our Beautiful Weekend at Jara Beach ResortLast updated on June 4th, 2020; Published on January 17th, 2020 A most thoughtful gift brought us to Jara Beach Resort. I have been to a few beach resorts in Lagos Nigeria but nothing quite compares to our experience here. Once I received the email that our reservation was confirmed, […]