Last updated on May 13th, 2020
A few weeks ago, I wrote an article about places I was looking forward to visiting this year. Turkey made its way to that list, thanks to Naija Nomads, a travel company in Nigeria. Do you know how I sometimes talk about writing down your vision (goals)? Believing (and working towards) them so much that the Universe conspires to make it happen? Well, today, I found myself in Turkey!
I didn’t visit Turkey physically – yet :), but I made my way to TRTWorld, an international news channel based in Istanbul, Turkey. They reached out to me (and a few other Nigerians) to share our perspective about this country we call home.
Because Nigeria often gets a lot of bad press in the media, I was quite worried about how this interview would turn out. However, when I received the link, I was delighted to see the video highlighted several positive aspects of Nigeria. It showed some of the bad news as well but that was not the focus of the piece.
In the video, one of the interviewees said this;
“If the media is portraying something, it is because it is true, however, the media is focussing more on the bad things’
And I totally agree with her. I’d be the last person to say that Nigeria is a perfect Utopia. But I’d be the first to tell you all the positive things about her. This is one of the reasons why I started this blog- to show the lesser-known beauty that Nigeria has to offer.
I hope you enjoy watching the piece and my interview… (Also, I apologize in advance for the bad image quality of my video. 🙁 I shot it on short notice with very bad lighting…)
One of the questions they asked me was this – What does Nigeria mean to you? Here’s what I had to say…
And I would like to ask you the same question…
What does Nigeria mean to you?
PS: If you are looking to visit or explore Nigeria more, I have many resources on this blog to help. Please check the Nigeria Category Tag to begin.
- The Sweet Life on Deck!If you had asked me a month ago, if I’d ever spend 2 whole weeks vacationing in a single location, I’d have said ‘maybe, it depends on the location‘. If you had then given the location as Watamu, a small fishing town on the Kenyan coast, I’d have answered with […]
- 60 Awesome Travel Blog Post Ideas For When You’re StuckAre you a travel blogger having a bad case of writer’s block? Trust me, we have all been there. For a lot of bloggers who do not travel full time or who haven’t been able to travel in a while, creating content for your travel blogs can be quite difficult. […]
- I Moved to Nairobi!Early this year, I received my letter of transfer from my organization. Mark and I were officially moving to Nairobi! I had requested for this transfer because Mark had been offered a position in the city. I felt lucky and happy to have gotten it, especially since it came quite […]
- Travelling to Nairobi + 5 Major Things to Expect from International TravelWith the announcement that international flights may resume in a couple of days in Nigeria, many people looking to travel internationally are probably wondering what to expect at the airports in Lagos and Abuja. I can’t speak much about the protocols at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport in Abuja but I […]
- FAQ: Everything You Need to Know About Getting a Private COVID-19 PCR Test in LagosLast updated on August 29th, 2020As Nigeria prepares to open her international borders, Airlines and Border Control may mandate a COVID-19 PCR test for travel. Travellers may be required to present a negative COVID-19 PCR test certificate before they are allowed to board their flights or even granted entry into […]
- 25 Beautiful & Fun Places to Visit in Lagos, NigeriaIf you are looking for places to visit in Lagos, you’ve come to the right place! It is not a secret that Lagos isn’t the most touristic destination in the world. Apart from residents and Nigerians in general, most people who come here do so for business purposes. Nevertheless, the […]