Last updated on May 10th, 2021
Nigerian citizens need a visa to visit Turkey and in this post, I’ll detail the Turkey visa application process. I’ll talk about how to apply in Kenya (as a resident) and in Nigeria and some important information you need to know. If you’re applying for a visa for the first time, be sure to read my guide, detailing general rules about visa applications in Nigeria.
PS: I encourage you to check the Turkish Embassy’s website for updated information about the visa application process. All information presented in this post is correct at the time of this writing. They are subject to change without notice. Always confirm travel details and necessary requirements with respective embassies & airlines before you apply or travel.Dreaming of visiting Turkey? Here's everything you need to know about applying for a Turkish tourist visa in Kenya or Nigeria! Share on Twitter!
Turkey Visa Application in Kenya – The Process
This is a summary of the whole process to apply for a Turkish tourist visa in Kenya or Nigeria. You’ll find a detailed breakdown of each step further down this post.
Total Time: 30 days
Fill out the online application form
Visit the visa pre-application website and fill the online application form. Upload the listed supporting documentation, including your flight itinerary, hotel reservation. Download the form once completed. PS: If you’re applying from Nigeria, the gov.tr website mentions that you must apply through Voya Visa. You should contact them for the forms needed.
Next, compile your supporting documents & submit them to the nearest application centre
See a list of documents you need to apply for a Turkish tourist visa in the details below. Currently, you can simply walk into the Turkish Route Limited office (Kenya) and Voya Visa (Lagos, Nigeria) to submit your application and have your biometric details taken.
Then, get your biometric details taken & pay the visa fees
Visa fees have to be paid for in cash and in USD.
How to Apply for a Turkish Tourist Visa in Kenya
How to Apply for a Turkish Tourist Visa – Details
The first step to applying for a Turkey visa is to fill the online application form at the visa pre-application website. You would need to upload a few supporting documents on the site and these include your flight itinerary, hotel reservation, as well as any other listed document. Once completed, download the form as you would need to submit this at the visa application centre.
Ideally, the next step in the process is to book your appointment date and time on the website but as of this moment, that is not necessary when applying in Kenya. You can simply walk into the application centre to submit your application with the inclusion of all your supporting documentation.
Turkey Visa Application Supporting Documents
The documents needed for your visa application include, but are not limited to the following;
- Visa Application form filled in English on the website www.visa.gov.tr and personally signed by the applicant.
- A valid passport and its copy with a minimum of two free leaflets and six months validity
- Original letter of invitation (if applicable)
- Recently taken 2 passport-size (5×5 cm) photos, with white background
- Kenyan ID card or Work/Resident’s permit (for Kenyan citizens and residents)
- Photocopy of your international passport bio-data page
- Certified bank statements for the last 3 months
- Return flight reservation
- Hotel reservation if applicable. You should submit all reservations if you will stay in more than one city in Turkey
- Health insurance covering the whole duration of your stay in Turkey (No need to buy this beforehand. Turkish Route Limited (Kenya) or Voya Visa (aka MZ Visa – Nigeria) compulsorily provides one for you at a price. See details below)
Other Turkey Visa Requirements…
- For employees: Original letter from your workplace. In English, on official company paper with stamp, signature, date – detailing your position, salary and the length of your employment, confirming that you have been given time off work and your position will be kept until your return, and stating whether this time off is paid or unpaid.
- For students Original letter from your school. In English, on official school paper with stamp, signature, date. Confirming your enrolment to the school.
- For retirees: A copy of the retirement certificate, last 3 months certified bank statements
- For unemployed, freelance or housewives: last 3 months bank statements. Housewives may submit the proof of solvency of their husbands, together with the original and a copy of their marriage certificate.
- For self-employed: Business documents e.g. Permit, Memorandum&Certificate of Incorporation, Certificate of Registration, certified bank statements for the last three months
- You may also submit a copy of previous Turkish visas obtained.
- Extra documents listed on the Voya Visa website: Copies of pages containing visas obtained in the last 3 years, if any
- An account balance of at least $ 50 for each day in Turkey will remain in the applicant’s account and a minimum balance of $ 1,000 in your personal bank account.
- Documents belonging to the applicant’s immovables (Real estate title, licenses, etc. Stamped, signed originals must be submitted at the visa application centre.)
I included a few other documents like my marriage certificate, tax certificate, work ID card and trip itinerary but those were returned to me. I’d suggest that you have those handy just in case you need to submit them.
Turkish Visa Appointment in Kenya | Where to Submit your Application
At the time of this writing, the Turkish visa appointment portal in Kenya is not responsive and you do not need an appointment to submit your documents. Currently, you can simply walk into the Turkish Route Limited office to submit your application and have your biometric details taken. There is no point going to the Turkish Embassy in Nairobi, you will be directed to Two Rivers Mall.
The office just recently opened up, and I think that they may re-introduce the appointment-based submissions with time. So, be sure to check for the latest information online before visiting. I will also try to update this post as often as I can.
Where is Turkish Route Limited Located?
Turkish Route Limited (Passport Visa Service) is located on the second floor in the office wing at the Two Rivers Mall, Nairobi. They are open from 9 am on Mondays to Fridays (except on public holidays).
Where is the Turkish Embassy in Kenya Located?
The Turkish Embassy is located at 30 Gigiri Road, Nairobi. They are open from Mondays to Fridays (except on public holidays) from 09:00 – 12:30 and then from 1:30 pm – 5:00 pm. If you plan to visit, it may be advisable to take a Uber there as there are no parking spaces outside the embassy.
Turkey Tourist Visa Fee in Kenya (2021)
The costs of a Turkish visa may vary depending on the kind of visa you apply for. The duration and whether or not you pay for a priority visa service will also affect the cost. A regular single-entry or single transit visa costs $60 at the time of this writing. In addition to this fee, Turkish Route Limited charges an $84 service fee and $45 for a health insurance cover for 2 weeks.
If you opt for a priority visa (aka VIP service), the service fee alone comes up to $174. A double transit visa and multiple entry visa cost $120 and $190 respectively. For the health insurance, a 1-week insurance cover costs $30, 2-weeks $45, 1 month $80 and 1 year $275.
Note that these amounts have to be paid for in cash and USD. There’s a forex office inside the mall where you can exchange money into dollars. You can either withdraw from an ATM or use MPESA to exchange Kenyan Shillings for dollars.
Please visit the Turkish Embassy website to find an updated list of documentation needed to apply for your visa. Also, note that the application centre does not retain your passport. If your visa is approved, you will be informed to submit it for the visa to be stamped in it.
How to Apply for a Turkish Tourist Visa in Nigeria
Turkish Visa Appointment in Nigeria | Where to Submit your Application
At the time of this writing, you can book an appointment on the Voya Visa website (formerly MZ Visa) or walk into the centre in Lagos to submit your application and have your biometric details taken. I have read that the staff conducts preliminary interviews here. I think that might be worth noting.
Where is Voya Visa Located?
Voya Visa has offices in Abuja and in Lagos. The Abuja office is located on 20, Nairobi Street, Wuse 2 Abuja FCT, while the Lagos office is located at Plot 1686b Oladele Olashore St, Victoria Island.
Where is the Turkish Embassy in Nigeria Located?
The Turkish Embassy is located at 333 Diplomatic Dr, Central Business District, Abuja, Nigeria They are open from Mondays to Fridays (except on public holidays) from 09:00 – 4:00 pm.
Turkey Tourist Visa Fee in Nigeria (2021)
A regular single-entry or single transit visa costs $60 at the time of this writing. In addition to this fee, Voya Visa charges a $40 service fee (or $150 for VIP service) and $25 for a health insurance cover for 2 weeks.
Turkey Visa Application in Nigeria and Kenya Processing Time
It takes an average of 15-21 working days to get a response for a regular visa. However, this time may vary from one application to the next. As a non-Kenyan passport holder, I was told that my application would take up to a month to be processed. Be sure to apply for your visa well ahead of time. You can also pay to get a priority visa (VIP) in less time but be aware that this option could be quite costly.
Turkey eVisa Application for Nigerian Citizens
You qualify for a Turkish evisa if you have a valid visa or resident permit to the US, UK, Ireland and the Schengen zone. You may apply for a Turkish evisa by visiting this site. The process is fast, seamless and costs $50 for the Nigerian passport holder who meets the conditions above. Once approved, you get your visa within 2-74 hours. The evisa is valid for 30 days.
Requirement for the Turkish eVisa for Nigerian Citizens
- A valid passport with a minimum of two free leaflets and six months validity
- A valid supporting visa or resident permit (US, UK, Ireland and Schengen Zone)
- A return or onward ticket.
- Proof of accommodation (hotel reservation).
- Funds of at least USD 50 per day of your stay in Turkey.
The next part is a waiting game. At the moment, there is no way to track the status of your Turkey visa application. You just have to wait for Turkish Route Limited or Voya Visa to send you an email or text message letting you know when to bring in or pick up your passport.
That’s it for the entire process of the Turkey visa application in Nigeria and Kenya. I hope you find this guide useful. Feel free to share your visa experience with me or ask any questions you might have in the comment section.