Foreign residents living in Kenya do not need to apply for a visa to visit Rwanda and Uganda. An Interstate pass grants them access to visit both countries without paying any visa fees. You can easily apply for this document through the eCitizen portal. What you need to do is to create an account as a foreign resident and this article will show you how to do that and how to get your Interstate pass in minutes.

What is an Interstate Pass?

An Interstate Pass in Kenya is a document that allows Kenyan foreign residents to travel to two other East African Countries (Uganda and Rwanda) without needing to apply for a visa or get on one arrival.

How to Get an Interstate Pass in Kenya

Applying for Insterstate Pass in Kenya

The process of getting an Interstate Pass in Kenya is quick and easy. The following article will guide you in creating your eCitizen profile and applying for this travel document.

Total Time: 5 minutes

Log in to eCitizen

Do Foreign Residents in Kenya need a visa to visit Rwanda or Uganda

You should already have a ‘Foreign Resident’ account. If you have not created one, click here to learn how to do so. If you have an account, simply sign in with your foreign resident number or email address and password.

Select a service on the displayed dashboard

inter-state pass east africa kenya

Once logged in, you will be presented with a dashboard. Select the first item – Directorate of Immigration Services (New Applications) and confirm your identity.

Select “Insterstate Pass” and Save the Generated File

inter-state pass east africa kenya application

Choose InterState Pass Application and select the applicant – you can only apply for yourself or dependents below 18. Enter the required details about your trip, save the generated file and you’re done!

Nairobi National Park Safari

How to Create a New eCitizen Account in Kenya

Kenya eCitizen Website interstate pass
  • Visit the eCitizen Website and click on Create Account
  • Click on the “Create Account” button under the eCitizen Foreign Residents section
  • Enter your ID number and first name as indicated and click on “Validate”
  • Fill out the remaining details and click “Continue”
  • Note: if you have previously used your email to register for a visitor’s account, you may need to use a different email address.

What is the Price for an Interstate Pass in Kenya?

The Interstate pass is free for foreign residents. If you are from a country that requires a visa to visit the two East African countries this pass grants you access to, then it helps you save costs on visa application fees. The pass is valid for one single entry.

Where to Travel with an Interstate Pass in East Africa?

Foreign residents in Kenya can travel to Rwanda and Uganda using the pass. For Nigerian citizens, you don’t need to apply for a pass if you are travelling to Rwanda. It is currently visa-free for Nigerian passport holders, along with all citizens of the Commonwealth, African Union and the Francophonie member states.

24 hours in Kigali

Enjoy your travels around East Africa!

I love to hear from you, Leave a comment here!


  1. Does the pass need to have kenya exit stamp or any kind of stamp from kenya Immigration??

    • No, it does not. Kenyan immigration authorities usually stamp inside passports.

    • Hi Ivy, I have an update on your question. We just used the Interstate pass to enter Rwanda again. We asked the Kenyan Immigration staff to stamp the pass as well as our passports.

      From what I’ve heard, Uganda Immigration mandates this but Rwanda Immigration is a bit more relaxed. (Last time we went, we didn’t get it stamped).

      Long story short, it’s better to get it stamped when exiting the airport.

  2. can this interstate pass be extended? because kenya gave me one month

  3. Hi, if you are a resident in Kenya but are currently outside the EAC (e.g. in Dubai), can you still avail of an interstate pass (maybe online from the Kenyan portal?), print it, and fly directly from Dubai to Uganda? Or does the interstate pass only work if you travel from an EAC country to an EAC country?