So, I had this post about the best places to visit in Dubai sitting in my drafts for the longest time. I have written a few posts about my short visits to Dubai (and Abu Dhabi) but if you are familiar with these locations in the UAE, you will know that they are pretty dynamic and the list of activities to do and places to visit keep changing up to the point that it feels hard to keep up!
I have used that as an excuse to keep this post in my drafts, but after Mark introduced me to OpenAI’s chatbot – ChatGPT, I wondered about its capabilities and decided to put it to the test using this article.
This post is in two folds and I am going to show you how the OpenAI chatbot works, what it came up with when I asked it to write an article about the best places to visit in Dubai and what I think about it all!
But first, let me tell you what this is, just in case you have never heard about it.
What's Covered in this Post
What is ChatGPT and How Does it Work?
ChatGPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3) is an artificial intelligence chatbot developed by OpenAI. It allows users to ask questions about everything and anything (within reason) – and gives human-like responses to those questions in real time.
Or in ChatGPT’s own words…
I asked the chatbot about recipes for meals, and how to apply for a UAE visa as a Nigerian citizen; I asked it to write a congratulatory message to a friend who’d just gotten engaged, to write a script to delete a record from a database table, and many more random questions – and I received concise, useful and accurate responses.
There were only a few of my many questions that I did not get a deserving response to, so I was not surprised when I asked the OpenAI chatbot to write an 800-word article about the best places to visit in Dubai and it gave me an expertly worded article, albeit, a few words short, but impressive nonetheless!
In full disclosure, I have edited the chatbot’s response to keep this article unique. I asked this question twice and received similar but unique responses. I imagine that there is a finite amount of unique responses that the bot can generate – which gives me some hope, that it may after all not be the death of creative writing just yet!
I asked an AI to write about the best places to visit in Dubai
Here’s what it wrote (for the most part). Try plugging in the same question to see exactly what it comes up with!
Dubai is a city known for its ultramodern architecture, luxury shopping experiences, iconic landmarks, parks, and vibrant nightlife. Trying to decide the best places to visit in Dubai can be overwhelming as it is a city that offers so much to see and do. Here are some of the best places to visit in Dubai.
The best places to visit in Dubai – as written by OpenAI Chatbot (with a few edits)…
- Visit the Burj Khalifa: This is the tallest building in the world, standing at an impressive 828 meters tall. It is a popular tourist attraction and offers stunning views of the city from its observation deck.
- The Dubai Mall: The Dubai Mall is one of the largest malls in the world by total area. In addition to hundreds of stores and restaurants, the mall also has an indoor theme park, an ice rink, a movie theatre, and a virtual reality park.
- Dubai Fountain: The Dubai Fountain is a spectacular water and light show that takes place in front of the Burj Khalifa. The fountain uses jets of water that are choreographed to music and is a popular spot for tourists and locals alike.
- Palm Jumeirah: Palm Jumeirah is an artificial archipelago in the shape of a palm tree that houses some of the most luxurious properties in the world. It is a great place to go for a stroll and take in the breathtaking views of the city skyline and the Arabian Gulf.
- Dubai Museum: The Dubai Museum is located in the Al Fahidi Fort and offers a glimpse into the city’s history and culture. The museum features exhibits on the traditional way of life in the UAE, as well as the city’s transformation into a modern metropolis.
- Dubai Creek: Dubai Creek is a historic waterway that runs through the city and is a great place to go for a boat ride or to visit the traditional souks (markets). The gold souk is particularly popular with tourists, as it is home to hundreds of gold shops.
- Ski Dubai: Ski Dubai is an indoor ski resort located in the Mall of the Emirates. It is the perfect place to go if you want to experience the thrill of skiing or snowboarding without having to leave the city.
- Dubai Miracle Garden: The Dubai Miracle Garden is a beautiful outdoor garden home to over 45 million flowers. It is a great place to go for a leisurely stroll and take in the sights and smells of the flowers.
- Dubai Beach: Visiting a beach in Dubai is one of the many activities not to be missed. Some popular options include Jumeirah Beach, Kite Beach, and JBR Beach.
- Dubai Creek Park: Dubai Creek Park is a large green space located along Dubai Creek. It is a popular spot for picnics, outdoor sports, and other recreational activities.
There are many other great places to visit in Dubai, including the Dubai Mall, the Dubai Fountain, Palm Jumeirah, and the Dubai Museum. No matter what your interests are, there is something for everyone in this vibrant and exciting city.
PS: I noticed the repetition of all the attractions mentioned above. In the second iteration of its response, this was not the case.
Now, let’s get to the second part of this post. How do I feel about this chatbot?
How I feel about OpenAI Chatbot
I will be honest here and tell you that my first reaction was disdain! Haha, I am now ashamed of that but yes, after reading the bot’s expert responses to my inputs, I selfishly imagined how much this would affect creative writing, among other art forms.
As a travel blogger, a lot of work goes into creating the pieces that I feature on this blog and knowing that an AI can come up with similar (or even better-written articles) within a few seconds made me feel quite uneasy.
But I asked myself what kind of articles I enjoyed reading and what articles I find more interesting to write. Which ones bring me back to the pages of my favourite bloggers? While listicles often get more attention and can easily be generated by an AI chatbot, it is those intimate experiences that are unique to each traveller that fuels my wanderlust.
And for now, that isn’t something that the OpenAI chatbot can do (I guess) and this gives me some comfort. 🙂
I would love to hear from you! Have you heard about the OpenAI chatbot? What do you think of it and do you think it will have a huge impact on creative writing as we know it?
Also, as this post is about the best places to visit in Dubai, I would love to hear about your own unique experiences in the city, if you have visited. Please share them with me in the comment section below!