Every other year, I make a list of places to visit in the coming year. I write these lists for fun, with the hopes of actually ticking off some of these places over the next two years. Because I never say never when travel opportunities arise, I often end up visiting places that don’t make it on the list.
The last time I worked on a list like this, I ended up visiting all the places I listed in Kenya and four out of the ten countries I mentioned. Not bad, right?
Also, in January last year, Mark had gone through my 2021 list and scheduled some trips for us based on that. So, am I writing this edition solely to mind-control him to do the same this year? Well, we shall see!
In the last two years, I feel like we both got to explore a lot of places in Kenya. I have a post coming up about my all-time favourite destinations, so be sure to look out for it. This year, there are only three new places that make this list and they are as follows:
Places to Visit in Kenya
- Tsavo National Park
- Meru National Park
- Any Tea Farm in Kenya – probably somewhere in Limuru
As for international travel, I have made a list of ten countries I would love to visit in 2023. Some of these countries, like Japan, Uganda, Namibia and Jordan have appeared in previous editions of this list, so I hope that over the next two years, I will get to visit them!
There are a few places that I dropped off simply because of the logistics involved in getting a visa as a Nigerian citizen. I hope that conditions improve from next year and beyond, so we can begin to enjoy travelling with fewer restrictions.
10 Places to Visit Internationally
Here are the countries I hope to visit next year:
- Japan – after visiting South Korea this year, I am looking forward to exploring Japan!
- Uganda – it’s about time, right?
- Singapore – if I can figure out how to obtain a visa independently, this will be a sure destination for the year
- Malaysia – I plan to visit Malaysia as a combined trip with Singapore
- Germany – to visit family and squeeze in another Europe Tour
- Jordan – to see Petra and float in the Dead Sea
- Namibia: because my first visit doesn’t count!
- Botswana: for incredible wildlife and landscapes
- Tied: Zimbabwe or Zambia: for the beautiful Mosi-oa-Tunya (aka Victoria Falls)
- Tied: Mauritius or Maldives: because there’s nothing quite like a good beach holiday!
Trip Planning Resources
Book your accommodation: Find accommodation options for any budget on Booking.com
Purchase Travel Insurance: I use SafetyWing for both my travel and visa application needs
There you have it! My list of places to visit in 2023 (or 2024!)
And as usual, I would love to hear from you. Please share with me your list of destinations you hope to visit in the coming year(s). Perhaps we have a few in common! 🙂
If you have destinations you’re looking to visit but aren’t quite sure about the visa application processes (for Nigerians), do let me know and I would look into it and probably write out more detailed articles about the processes and requirements next year.